Tuesday, April 08, 2008

It is three, I think.

some visiting with the folks and celebrated my sister's boys' birthdays, which happen to lie on April 6 and 7. I got to give Parker his first bike (sorta) which made me a happy uncle and Pearson kept us very entertained as he enjoyed birthday numero uno by diving headfirst into a bright red iced hunk of cake.

Momma Kuhn pulled out the stops for these kids and made the cake to beat all cakes and make a couple young boys awfully happy. Well, I guess Pearson won't remember it, but Parker was enthralled. The cake was a train. Not a train in icing on the cake, but a freakin' train. Actually it was two cakes since mom can't play favorites. Each was 5 cars long. Each car was a piece of cake about the size of a brick. Each car was a different color. The engine had a marshmallow smokestack with curly candles for smoke and in the engineer's seat was a photo of one of the boys with a chocolate bar roof and chocolate supports. A blue "log" car hauled a load of Tootsie Rolls and another car carried "coal" in the form of dark chocolate Raisinettes. The wheels were either chocolate or vanilla Oreos or rolled black licorice. The tracks were those wafer sugar cookies alternating between chocolate and vanilla too. The train couplers were pieces of red licorice. My favorite though was the circus car with a graham cracker roof iced in green and decorated in M&Ms supported by pretzel sticks forming the cage to hold the Animal Cracker beasties. Damn!!!

Parker was amazed. Mom asked Parker which car he wanted and of course the engine was the first choice. Mom then asked Parker which car she could eat. Parker said "Pearson's."

Anyone notice in my previous post that I'm the biggest I've been since high school...I just can't figure out why...

On a completely different note, but something I think I mentioned before, I really like seeing people I've not seen in a long time at these things.

Pete Ray, and old friend from my Team Harrisburg days was back out to race his bike after a long time away. It turns out he'd been to the farm in the intervening years when he treated Howdy after he'd fallen from his tree stand a few years ago and busted up his back. Small world I guess.

Mike Peters of the recent editions of the Harrisburg Criterium stopped in and was one of those who I didn't get to visit with at all. It was nice to see him come out in support of his road buds on the Faulkner Honda racing team. Another FHer in attendance was my old PA Pension Planners teammate (or as VeganRob refered to us, Team FunnyPants) John Cameron and his ever increasing in size family...John and Jen are expecting their second in October. Small world again I guess.

My old bud Chris Kuhl paid a visit too and even tried a lap or two of the course. I'm lucky enough to run into Chris a few times a year, most recently in Arizona, and he also volunteered some time to help set up the course a few days earlier so while I do get to see him its not often enough.

Of course all yinzers and bubsers were super sweet to see again and here's to hoping there's a lot more of seeing you all this summer.

One race down. Rocktober, the Stage Race, and Iron Cross to go.

1 comment:

brett said...

your problem is that you started out too small in high school. get out of high school fat and it's easier to claim you're beating your grad weight when you're in your thirties. yeah, my long-term plan is working....